Very slow performance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very slow performance

Not sure this is a bug, but don't know where else to post it.
    I'm almost convinced this is on my end, with all the rave reviews Cascadeur has. Unfortunately, even though I get good performance in apps like Blender and 3d Coat, the viewport in Cascadeur is really choppy. I'd guess maybe 15 fps? I haven't measured it, but it's definitely not smooth. This is with no character loaded and just tumbling and panning the view.
    My system is Windows 10 Pro, threadripper 2950x, 64 GB ram, rtx 2080. Maybe not the latest, but it should be enough for basic viewport performance.
    Are there any settings I can tweak or logs to be reviewed, to figure out why the performance is so bad?
    Last edited by SnickerSnack; 15 September 2022, 22:04.

Ok, I'm 100% sure it has to do with the new version released. I installed the old cascadeur_2022.1.2EA, and it was fairly buttery smooth. Then installed the new cascadeur_2022.2EA again, and it's back to the chopping board.

Comment

Hello,
      we are already working on a fix of these performance problems.
      It seems like only certain system configurations are affected.

In the meantime you can try this:
      You need to try a clean install of new version. Try to move or rename \AppData\Local\Nekki Limited\Cascadeur and install once again new version.

Comment

I tried your suggestion, but unfortunately the performance hit remains with the new version.

Comment

Ok, we hope we can release a fix today. Cross your fingers.

Comment

The new cascadeur_2022.2.1EA is much better for viewport performance. Very usable now!

Comment

By the way, you mentioned the problem only happened on certain system configurations. Now that you've solved the problem, can you explain what the issue was?

Comment

Okay, so maybe I spoke too soon. I only tested the program superficially the other day. Today I've been trying to get some actual work done, and even though the performance is better than before, it's still not anywhere as smooth as shown in for example the tutorial videos. It's especially bad/noticeable during posing the figure. If it's a specific configuration that trips up cascadeur, please let me know, so I can burn it with fire

Comment

Okay,I see!
                  Overall - we plan to optimize performance further asap!

Could you do us a big favour to achieve this?
                  - Can you send us your PC configuration (as detailled as possible)
                  - Could you test if there is a noticable difference between the performance of versions 2022.1EA (release date: 13 Apr, 2022) and 2022.2.1EA (release date: 16 Sep, 2022)

That would be great!
                  Last edited by Tom Borovskis; 21 September 2022, 14:40.

Comment

2022.1EA from 13 April 2022:
                    It works smoothly. The viewport tumbles without any noticeable lag at all. I'm guessing maybe 60 fps?
                    The smooth feeling operation remains while posing without autoposing. Once I enable autoposing the performance drops to about half for the entire skeleton. Still usable, but not buttery smooth like regular posing.

2202.2.1EA from 16 Sep 2022:
                    This viewport is slower than 2202.1EA while tumbling. Maybe half speed? So, not unusable, but noticeably less smooth.
                    Right off the bat, posing in regular mode is somewhat less smooth than 2202.1EA. Maybe between 30 and 60 fps?
                    Once I enable autopose, performance drops significantly while posing, to the point of being unusable. Maybe 10-15 fps?
                    Tumbling the viewport is still "fine" with autopose on - though still not as smooth as 2202.1EA.

[Tom: deleted the confidential info]
                    Last edited by Tom Borovskis; 23 September 2022, 11:57.

Comment

Thank you so much!
                      You are a great support.
                      I will forward your report to our developers.

Comment

I am seeing the same thing. 2022.2.1 appears slightly better than 2022.2 but both have very laggy viewport tumbling. 2022.1 is butter-smooth. I deleted previous installs before installing new versions. Win 10, RTX 3090 w/ Nvidia Studio Driver 517.40, 64GB ram, Ryzen 3900x 12 core, 1TB NVMe OS drive, dual 4K displays.

So, I just discovered that if I split the viewport (spacebar), the speed is just as good as 2022.1 - as long as both viewports split the canvas. Switching back to single viewport, or scaling one of the dual viewports so that it covers most of the screen causes viewport tumbling to lag again.

Timeline playback is fine, manipulators are fine. It's really just the tumbling far as I see.
                        Last edited by Muchogrande; 26 September 2022, 11:03.

Comment

Thanks for debugging and for the info about the devices. This is a performance problem (that's why it depends on the viewport size in pixels).
                          We are working to improve it, but it will probably take more time (then the previous fix from 2022.2 to 2022.2.1).
                          We also plan to improve autoposing performance before the release.

Comment

About us
                          Cascadeur is a standalone software for creating physically correct keyframe animations for characters, humanoid and otherwise. Make realistic animations from scratch or improve your mocap, while retaining full control over the results.
                          Join us
                          Working...
                          X